People don’t feel that their opinions matter within the workplace. Waggl asked business and HR professionals about listening in their organizations and found that 57% believed leaders did not do an excellent job of actively listening. In addition to this, the problem has become more visible as business is operating in a paradigm of increased transparency.
Employee engagement has consistently averaged less than 33% for the past 15 years and there are real costs associated; approximately $26K per employee each year and over $450B is lost annually in productivity. A Gallup study recently suggested the problem is much worse with an average of 50.8% disengaged employees and another 17.2% actively disengaged.
Despite the numbers, listening in business often consists only of measurement through one-way communication tactics, like annual surveys. There is a better, more human way and it’s called active listening.
Here are 6 steps your organization can take to fulfill to cultivate an active listening culture.
- Instill Solid Values: Believe that people deserve to be heard and openly share the principles of respect, humility, curiosity, empathy, and inclusion.
- Reduce Stress: Stress causes people to stop listening, so be sure to carve out time to reflect at three levels – individual, group and self.
- Enforce Humility: Avoid personal stances when listening and recognize that great insight can come from anyone. The stronger someone feels about an issue, the less likely they are to accept input from others.
- Remove Distractions: In the current digital environment, people are relentlessly barraged by distractions – 2.46M posts, 277K Tweets, and 3,472 images are pinned every minute.
- Repeat What Was Heard: Ensure that you’ve understood and let the sender know that the message has been received.
- Innovate Communication: Annual surveys are outdated, one-way, and too slow for this generation of smartphone users and video streamers. Waggl’s short, quick pulse surveys provide an environment for real-time feedback with a fun, gamified user experience to gather more open, authentic insight across your workforce.
Request a Waggl demo today